Sunday, September 18, 2011

Menu for week of September 19th




Monday

B-Eggs, Toasted Sourdough Bread with Jam or Apple Butter, Sliced Ham, Sliced Tomatoes, Juice and Coffee
L-Pimiento Cheese Sammies
D-Sloppy Joe Meatloaf (I'm tweaking the recipe a bit), Green Beans, Salad

Sloppy Joe Meatloaf

2/3 c oatmeal
1/3 c + 1/4c + 1/4c canned sloppy joe sauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
1-lb ground turkey (or beef) ('m using ground chicken and adding a little sausage)
1/4 c minced green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
optional: shredded carrots, green pepper, or zucchini (I have some carrots that need to be used up so I think I will finely grate some and add these and not tell the daughter!)

* Preheat oven to 350* and spray a loaf pan.
* Combine oats, 1/3cup + 1/4 cup of the sloppy joe sauce, and the egg. Let sit for 3 minutes, so the oats can soften.
* Add meat, onion, and garlic. Mix until well combined.
* Pour meat evenly into prepared loaf pan.
* Spread the remaining 1/4 cup sloppy joe sauce evenly over the top.
* Bake for 30 minutes, until no longer pink.
Let sit 10 minutes before serving.


Tuesday

B-Pancakes and Sausage, Coffee and Juice
L-Meatloaf Sammies
D-Broccoli Chicken Casserole (going to do my best to get my 12 year old to eat this!), Corn on the Cob, Sister Schubert Rolls

Broccoli Chicken Casserole

1 pkg. chicken stuffing mix
2 c. cubed cooked chicken
1 c. frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 can broccoli-cheese soup
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese

In small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in stuffing mix. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, layer chicken and broccoli in a greased 11x7x2 inch baking dish. Top with soup. Fluff stuffing with a fork, spoon over soup. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Wednesday

B-Oatmeal, maybe some Toast and Jam, Juice and Coffee
L-Leftovers or Turkey Sammies
D-Country Ham and Corn Casserole, Salad

Country Ham and Corn Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 15 minutes

2 cups cubed cooked ham
1/2 cup chopped green onions (don't have these so using sweet onions)
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
3 eggs, well beaten
1 (15-oz.) can Green Giant® Cream Style Sweet Corn
1 (11-oz.) can Green Giantr Mexicorn® Whole Kernel Corn, Red and Green Peppers, drained
1 (7 to 8 1/2-oz.) pkg. corn muffin mix
4 oz. (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12x8-inch (2-quart) baking dish. In large bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese. Pour into greased baking dish.

Bake at 350°F. for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and set. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. To serve, cut into squares.


Thursday

B-Sausage and Cheese Muffins, Scrambled Eggs, Sliced Tomato, Juice and Coffee
L-Leftovers
D-Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce, Salad, Cheese Biscuits

Friday

B-Cereal and Toast with Jam, Juice and Coffee
L-Sammies
D-Chicken Shepherd's Pie, Sister Schubert Rolls

Chicken Shepherd's Pie

* 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
* 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1 can cream of chicken soup
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2-3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
* 3 cups mashed potatoes (I used instant)

Boil carrots in the broth till tender. Stir in peas, cream of chicken soup, salt & pepper and cooked chicken.

Pour into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Dot with butter. Bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Saturday

B-Eggs, Ham, Fried Taters, Toast, Juice and Coffee
L-Leftovers or PB&J
D-Taco Salad

Mexican Taco Salad

½ lb. ground beef (I'm using ground chicken)
½ cup chopped onion
16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
2 t. chili powder
¼ t. salt
6 c. shredded lettuce
2 c. chopped tomato
4 c. corn or crushed tortilla chips
½ cup Catalina dressing
½ lb. Velvetta, cubed (I'm using cheddar)
Brown meat; drain. Add onion; cook until tender. Add beans and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients. Add meat mixture. Mix lightly and serve immediately. Serves 6. This always tastes good! If you'd like you can even eat it without the chips and save a few calories.

Sunday

B-Breakfast Bar of some sort, Juice and Coffee
L-Bachelor Bean Bake, Cornbread
D-C.O.R.N. (Clean Out Refrigerator Night)

Now some of you may be thinking we eat a lot of sausage, meats and cheese. We like protein, as it sticks to our ribs and fills us up. I buy my meats on sale and I don't buy any beef products any longer. Even my hotdogs are made without beef. Most of my sausage products are reduced fat or turkey sausages. They now make chicken sausages, and I have coupons, but haven't seen any in my area. We eat a lot of chicken. I try to buy natural lunch meats without nitrates/nitrites when they are on sale and stock up. My daughter likes to snack on turkey, no bread, no crackers, just turkey. I figure that's not so bad. Now, when it comes to cheese, I will use a reduced fat cream cheese, but with most cheeses, I like the real thing. Those reduced fat ones taste so artificial to me. We are not health nuts but have learned to tweak our eating to make it healthier by doing these things. We also eat a lot of salads. I also try to incorporate good veggies. My daughter just hasn't found too many veggies she likes and I am hoping she will soon be brave enough to try new ones. We often have fruit at breakfast and sliced apples for a snack. I have a hard time getting in fruit. I just don't think of fruit when I am hungry and I need to incorporate more of that in my eating plan. And I know dairy is somewhat important for our bones and all, but we are not milk people. I try to incorporate yogurt sometimes and want to try the Greek yogurt as I hear it is higher in protein and lower in fat and is more filling. That's our eating philosophy, how about you?

That's my menu plan. Thanks for stopping by again,

Pam

No comments: