Monday, January 16, 2012

Homemade Sausage

Have you ever made homemade sausage? I've been worried about all the nitrites and nitrates that we have been ingesting lately. We really eat too much processed foods. I like sausages, lunch meats, hotdogs, etc. We eliminated beef from our diet several years ago with hubby's cousin died of CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease). We just decided we didn't want to take any chances, no matter how slim, and we knew that too much beef wasn't good for us anyway. We eat a lot of chicken. A lot. So I found my self buying more and more turkey smoked sausages, pork sausages, ham, etc. to alleviate some of the chicken boredom. But I think we eat way too much of the N/N filled foods.

We have found that Hormel makes a good bacon that is N/N free. I stock up when it is on sale. They also make good N/N turkey and ham lunch meats. I buy it when it is on sale and sometimes I even have a coupon for it. My daughter loves turkey and eats it often as a snack. Just turkey, no bread or anything. I haven't found any bologna or hotdogs in my area that are N/N free. I am sure Earth Fare may have something, but they are very pricy. But I need to check it out anyway. But in the meantime, I thought I might try making my own sausage with ground turkey or chicken. The next time my local grocery has ground chicken or turkey on sale I am going to use this recipe. If you have made your own sausage, will you share your recipe?


TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE


1 pound ground turkey

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons olive oil


In a large bowl, combine the turkey, salt, sage, thyme, nutmeg and cayenne. Shape into eight patties. In a large skillet, cook patties in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.


4 comments:

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

I'm definitely going to make this recipe, I need tons of help in the kitchen, my poor husband got the raw end of the deal when he married me, I burn water hehe. Thanks for the encouragement on my Impossibility Challenge.

Chaos Cottage said...

You're welcome Teresa. I'd like to know your thoughts on the sausage after you try it.

Marge said...

Ooh, I have made sausage patties before with ground turkey. It was a reasonable substitute. It's been a while though. I'll see if I can find my recipe!

Chaos Cottage said...

thanks Marge!