Monday, August 23, 2010

Menu for the week of August 23rd




This week I'm filling my freezer with some breakfast meals to make my morning a little easier. Here are my plans for feeding my family this week.

Monday:

B - Oatmeal and Raisins, Juice
L - Egg Sammies, Banana
D - One Pot Pepper Soup (recipe below), Cantaloupe

Tuesday:

B - McMoms (make extras for freezer)
L - Leftover Soup
D - Fish and Chicken Nuggets, Tots
*Small Group-Cheese and Crackers, Grapes

Wednesday:

B - Eggs, Toast, Juice
L - PB&J, Sliced Apple
D -Smoked Sausage and Baked Beans, Cheese and Crackers

Thursday:

B - Oatmeal and Blueberries
L - Egg Salad Sammies, Pretzels
D - Robert and Robyn eat out-I'm at Ladies Night Out and we're having breakfast so I'm bringing Sausage and Cheese Muffins

Friday:

B - Bagels with Eggs and Cheese(put extras in freezer)
L - Taco Soup (put extra servings in freezer)
D - Home Made Pizza

Saturday:

B - Pancakes and Sausage, Juice
L - Leftover Soup and/or Pizza
D - BBQ at the Hudson's

Sunday:

B - Sausage and Cheese Muffins, Juice
L - Church Potluck (taking Chicken and Stuffing Casserole)
D - Hamburger Helper (I use ground turkey or chicken), Green Veggie

One Pot Pepper Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef (I use ground turkey)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chopped green pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 can tomato paste
8 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup uncooked instant rice

In a large nonstick saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.

Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.

Add green pepper; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.

Stir in the diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Bring to a boil.

Stir in rice.

Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.

This meal freezes well. Make it in multiples and pop them in the freezer for later!

(Okay, I made this and it was really good. But soup? No, it wasn't anywhere near being soup. Maybe I let it simmer too long and the rice soaked up all the juices or something. But it was good and I would make it again.)

No comments: