Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A favorite bible verse.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 NIV


Well, this pretty much sums things up for Christians doesn't it? As a mother, this especially speaks to me and how I raise my daughter. I have to set an example but I am also given the task of impressing God's Word on my child. I am told to talk about Him all the time.

I do love God with all my heart and soul and He loves me back. This I know. For the bible tells me so! Amen! My family is reading through the bible this year and Robyn has joined in with us this year. She received a read through the bible from us for Christmas that will help her do that. We are all enjoying doing this together. We often talk about what we just read. We are also making a bigger effort to eat together, usually in our dining room, nightly. We really enjoy this family time around the table. It's a different atmosphere than sitting on the couch in front of the big black box and not speaking to one another while we eat. Afterward we read a family devotion together. I have a book just for this purpose. It allows for discussion of what we read and reminders of how to live our daily lives. By doing just these two things, I feel I am impressing upon my child's heart, the importance of her personal relationship with Jesus.

We attend church together and sit together as a family and worship our Lord side by side. I especially love this. This really feels like "family" to me. We go in different directions for Sunday school and on Wednesday nights, but Sunday's worship service is a time of family.

What do you do as a family or an individual to impress Jesus on your children? Please share.

Have a blessed day,

Pam

2 comments:

Marge said...

I love what you guys are doing. We, too, don't eat together enough. We're trying to do more things together. We went to the zoo the other day. I lived in Knoxville for 22 years and there are things in the area that we never did. I don't want to say that if/when we move from here. We'd love to go on an Alaskan cruise, but they are pretty pricey.

Becky said...

We have the nightly meals together down pat. That has always been important for us since our boys were little. We light a candle, pray, recite a verse of scripture, eat and talk. It has been a big blessing in our family. Our downfall has been going to church regular. Hoping to get that one down pat with our new life in Colorado.