Sunday, January 2, 2011
Menu for Week of January 3, 2011
Monday, January 3
B-Free Chick-Fil-a Chicken Biscuits
L-Hearty Black Bean Soup with Rice
Hearty Black Bean Soup
* 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
* 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
* 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
* 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* Hot cooked rice
In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
D-Chicken Tater Bake , Fruit and/or Salad
(I'm splitting this recipe into one to eat and one to freeze)
Chicken Tater Bake
* 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
* 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
* 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
* 1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots
* In a large saucepan, combine the soup, milk and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, peas and carrots, and 1 cup cheese.
* Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Top with Tater Tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
* Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
* To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Well, I ended up not making either of these recipes today. I didn't sleep well and went back to bed at 10:30 and didn't get up until three hours later. I ate my free biscuit. It was spicy! Robert and I ended up having leftovers for dinner and Robyn ate at her aunt's. These recipes will get made another time.
Tuesday, January 4
L-Grilled Cheese, Soup and sliced apple
D-Freezer Meal-Cavatini, Green Veggie, Rolls
Wednesday, January 5
B-Oatmeal with raisins
L-Egg Sammies, sliced carrots
D-BBQ Chicken Pie, Slaw, Pork and Beans
Barbecue Chicken Pie
(OAMC 4 meals; 6 servings each)
Serving Size : 24
(I'm only make two meals)
4 refrigerated pie crusts
16 green onions with tops -- about 2 cups; thinly sliced
32 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
12 cups chicken -- cooked and chopped
3 cups barbecue sauce
Preheat oven to 425°. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Place pie crusts in Deep Dish Pie Plates, gently pressing dough into bottom and up sides; prick bottom. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown; cool completely.
Thinly slice green onions; set aside. Thinly slice half of the cheese. Grate remaining cheese using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Set cheese aside.
Place chicken in Large Micro-Cooker®. Add barbecue sauce; toss to coat. Microwave on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until mixture is hot, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the grated cheese and half of the green onions.
To assemble pies, line bottom and sides of crust with sliced cheese. Spoon chicken mixture into crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle top of pie with remaining grated cheese.
Cool. Put one pie each into 4 gallon freezer bags. Freeze.
To reheat: Preheat oven to 350°. Heat for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Thursday, January 6
B-Omelets, Mayo Rolls, Jelly
L-Soup, cheese and crackers
D-C's Sausage Casserole, Apple Crisp, Rolls
Colleen's Sausage Casserole
1 lb. hot sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 ¼ cup instant rice
8 oz. sharp grated cheese
Crumble sausage in skillet and brown, drain well. Mix sausage, onion, and pepper in a large bowl. Add uncooked rice and then soup. Add cheese last, saving a little to sprinkle on top. Pour into casserole and bake 325 degrees for 1 hour uncovered.
Apple Oatmeal Crisp
3 or 4 medium size tart apples, cored, peeled and sliced
¾ cup rolled oats
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 t. cinnamon
½ cup margarine
Spread apples in greased 9 inch pie plate; set aside. Mix oats, sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine with fork or pastry blender. Sprinkle evenly over apples. Bake 350 degrees 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is crisp and brown. Serve slightly warm. 6 servings.
Friday, January 7
D-Pigs in Blankets, Oven Fries, Veggies and Dip
Saturday, January 8
B-Eggs, Toad in the Hole, Fruit
D-Layered Enchilada Bake, Salad
(I'm dividing this into two 8x8 pans and freezing one and eating one)
Layered Enchilada Bake
1 lb. lean ground beef (I use ground turkey or chicken)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups chunky salsa
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup italian dressing
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
6 flour tortillas (8 inch)
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg. shredded cheese
*Line 13x9-inch baking dish with foil. Brown meat with onions in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add salsa, beans, dressing and chili powder; mix well.
*Arrange three of the tortillas in single layer on bottom of prepared baking dish; cover with layers of half each of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat all layers. Cover with foil.
*Preheat over to 400 degrees, bake, covered, 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand five minutes before cutting to serve.
*If you want to cook later, freeze the assembled uncooked casserole for up to three months. Bake, covered for one hour.
*Try serving it topped with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and chopped cilantro.
*Makes 8 servings.
Sunday, January 9
L-Crock Pot Ham and Veggies, Mac and Cheese, Mayo Rolls
Ham & Vegetables
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up
1 lb. green beans, cut up
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 t. salt
1 lb. lean cooked ham, cut up
Place ingredients in Crock Pot in order given. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 - 6 hours.
Note: since this is an old crock pot recipe you might have to adjust the time downward if you have one of the new pots like I have. They just cook hotter and faster. Hope this helps.
D-C.O.R.N. (Clean Out Refrigerator Night)