Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A couple of new recipes

Crockpot Lasagna
servings | 10
estimated POINTS per serving | 7

1 lb of lean ground turkey
1 onion chopped
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2-15oz cans tomato sauce
1-6 oz can tomato paste
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1-12 oz carton of fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
12 oz lasagna noodles - uncooked
12 oz shredded non-fat mozzarella cheese

Brown ground turkey and onions in a skillet. Add garlic powder, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano. Cook long enough to get it warm.

In a bowl mix the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.

Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the crockpot. Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodle (break to fit) and top with cheese mixture (you may have to use a knife to spread it). Repeat layers two more times.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Now as you probably already know, I am the queen of tweaking recipes. So I tweaked this one. I didn't use the turkey. I used a roll of reduced fat sausage. I didn't make my own sauce but used a can of Hunt's tomato sauce. Boy was this good! Dh and I enjoyed the leftovers just as much. Oh, and I only had 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles. But guess what, it still worked. Less carbs, more meaty goodness!

White Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

1 frozen pie crust, thawed (I use Mrs. Smith's 9" Deep Dish Shortbread Crust)
2 1 oz packages fat-free, sugar-free, instant white chocolate pudding
2¾ cups cold fat-free milk
2-3 bananas, sliced thin on an angle
1 8 oz tub lite or fat-free Cool Whip

Preheat oven to 375. Carefully line thawed pie crust with foil and fill with dry beans or rice. Bake on middle oven rack for 15 minutes. Discard foil, dry beans or rice. Cool crust completely. Beat pudding mix into milk in bowl with wire whisk for 2 minutes.

Fold in 1/2 tub of Cool Whip. Line the baked and cooled pie shell with 1/2 the prepared pudding. Add a layer of bananas. Repeat layers with remaining pudding and bananas.

Top with remaining Cool Whip. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, until set.

Now, I didn't like how this crust turned out. It wasn't baked long enough, a little undercooked. So, next time I am forgoing the foil and beans and just pricking the crust and baking. Just my 2 cents! Oh and I also used Sugar Free Cool Whip. It's good.

2 comments:

Becky said...

The lasagna recipe sounds good. I am going to try making it next week. Thanks! :-)

Chaos Cottage said...

I hope you like it as much as we did.

Pam