Monday, January 28, 2013

Cavatini!

Here is my Cavatini recipe.  I first tried Cavatini many years ago at Pizza Hut.  I had never heard of it.  Then years later I ran across this freezer recipe and I knew it sounded very similar to the dish I had at Pizza Hut.  I tried it and I liked it. Since it makes two pans you can eat one after you prepare it and freeze the other for another time if you'd like.   Thought I would share.

Cavatini

This will make enough for two meals.

4 cups of different sized pasta - such as 1 cup macaroni, 1 cup shells, etc..
2 lbs ground round, browned (I use ground turkey or chicken)
1/2 lb pepperoni (I use turkey pepperoni-less fat and less greasy)
2 medium onions, finely chopped and pre-sauteed
2 small green peepers, finely chopped and pre-sauteed
1 large can mushrooms, drained (I sometimes eliminate this)
2 quarts of spaghetti sauce(I buy whatever's on sale)
2 cups mozzarella cheese

Boil all pasta together - a little less time than package directs because you will freeze it. While water is boiling, cut pepperoni into Fourths and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds. Mix together, meats, onions, pepper, mushrooms and sauce. When pasta is ready, drain and mix with meat mixture. Divide mixture between 2 9X13 pans. Sprinkle about a cup of cheese over each, pushing a little into the mixture.

Freezing instructions - when cool, wrap with plastic wrap, foil, and label or attach directions.

Serving Day Instructions - Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Remove Plastic Wrap. Tent Foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

Enjoy!

Pam 

No comments: