Sunday, November 9, 2014

Red Beans and Rice


Red Beans and Rice
Pam
1 t. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
1 ½ c. instant rice, uncooked (I used instant brown rice)
¼ t. ground red pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
1/8 t. paprika
3 bay leaves
two-15 oz. cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
two-14 oz. can no salt beef broth
(I also added about 1/2 t. sea salt)
6 oz. sliced Canadian bacon, coarsely chopped
1 c. seeded, chopped tomato
3 T sliced green onions

Coat a Dutch oven with Pam; add oil. Place over medium high heat until hot. Add onion, sauté until tender. Add rice and next 6 ingredients. Bring mix to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. To serve: ladle into 6 individual bowls and top evenly with tomato and green onions. Makes 6, 1 ½ c. servings. 247 calories, 4.3 g. fat. per serving.

I made this recipe tonight for my family and they really liked it.  I will be making it again and thought I would share.  It's a really quick meal too.


No comments: