Monday, October 19, 2009

A few recipes I will be making this week:

This is a family favorite of ours. I have made it several times and for company.

Texas Lasagna

1 lb. lean beef or ground turkey
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
½ cup chopped onion
28 oz. salsa, drained
cooked lasagna noodles
2 c. shredded light Cheddar cheese
2 c. shredded light Mozzarella cheese
16 oz. fat free cottage cheese

Brown the meat in a skillet, stirring until crumbly. Add the taco seasoning mix and onion. Cook until the onion is tender; drain. Add the salsa. Simmer for 35 minutes. Reserve a small amount of the cheddar and mozzarella cheese for topping. Alternate layers of meat sauce, noodles, cottage cheese and cheeses until all ingredients are used ending with the remaining cheeses. Bake 350 degrees 45 minutes. 6 servings.


No sure where the title for this one came from. I believe I found it in one of my Depression cookbooks.

Dum Dum Depression Casserole

In a buttered casserole, arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top (or use canned tomatoes). Bake till done, depending on size of casserole.

This is a new one. It comes from a cookbook I bought at Dollywood recently.

Brunswick Stew

1 very well cooked 3 lb. chicken with bones removed
4 whole potatoes
3 sliced carrots
4 large diced onions
1 quart tomatoes
Cook these ingredients in chicken broth until tender. Add enough water until it's the consistency you like, along with:
1 box frozen lima beans (I'll cook fresh)
1 large can corn
1 T sugar
lots of pepper and a small piece of butter
Stir well and low simmer for about 30 minutes, or cook in a slow cooker for a few hours on low.

Sounds yummy to me! Have a great day!

Pam

2 comments:

Marge said...

That lasagna sounds good! I might give it a try.

ComeHaveaPeace said...

I should walk up to your house for dinner. :) I love the depression casserole ... let me know how it turned out!

Yes, Marge did plant, and I loved the little watering I did. I was so thankful and glad that the seed grew! :) Watch for me to wear my scarf.

Still praying as I drive by your corner ....