Monday, January 2, 2012

Menu for week of January 2nd




Monday:
Chicken and Bows (freeze one), Salad, Rolls

Chicken and Bows

12 Servings

Prep/Total Time: 25 min.


* 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie pasta

* 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (I'm using turkey)

* 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper (I'm using green, it's what I have)

* 1/4 cup butter, cubed

* 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

* 2 cups frozen peas

* 1-1/2 cups milk

* 1 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

* 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese


* Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch

oven, cook chicken and red pepper in butter over medium heat for 5-6

minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Stir in the soup, peas, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring

to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until

heated through. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Drain pasta; add to chicken

mixture and toss to coat.

Serve half of the mixture immediately. Cool remaining mixture;

transfer to a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3

months.

*edited to add that only hubby and I ate some of this last night. There was so much leftover I was still able to fill up two 8x8 pans for the freezer and I only used a 12 oz. box of bow ties. It was very good. Better than I thought it would be. When reheating it I am thinking I might need to add a little more milk as the bows really soak up the creamy goodness. So we will be eating this again, at least twice, in the next few months.



Tuesday: Chili Corn Dog Casserole (freeze one), more Salad (didn't get to this meal last week-too many leftovers)

Wednesday: Spaghetti Casserole (freeze one), Green Veggie or Salad, French Bread

Thursday: Lil Cheddar Meatloaves (freeze leftovers), Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin, Fried Apples

Friday: Chicken Roll-ups (freeze meal), Leftover Scalloped Potatoes, Green Veggie

Saturday: Lazy Lasagna (freeze one), Salad, Red Lobster Biscuits

Sunday: Freezer Meal-Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican Rice and Peach Cobbler with Whipped Cream of dessert

This will be a week of feeding the freezer. It's just as easy to double a recipe, or in our case, since we are a family of three to divide the meal into two 8x8 pans and eat one and freeze the other. Makes for easy meals down the road.

Since I cooked a turkey this weekend, I will be feeding the freezer with some of that too. It will be showing up in the Chicken and Bows today as well as the following meals later: Turkey and Biscuit Pie, Chicken Tetrazzini, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Gumbo Soup and if there is enough turkey left, Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup. Today I am going to boil the carcass and make broth for the freezer. I already have three containers of stock from the pan when I baked the turkey. I bought some noodles so I'm sure dear daughter will want some noodle soup this week too. I am really stretching that turkey :)

That's what's cooking at my house. Thank you for stopping by. I will be glad to share any recipes with you.

No comments: